August 20, 2008

the beauty of regret

it never matches up

do you realize that we have the capability for such a great imagination that often, things don't turn up the way we imagined it to be. or what we remember is often better than what it really is?

it happens to me all the time. ok. for example.

you know how i grew up reading Enid Blyton books? So i imagined England to be this rural, cottage-filled, quaint place. Take out all the fairies, elves, goblins and whatever-nots trotting about and living harmoniously, there are still the cute and charming animals. well, i went for a walk in the forest in April, somewhere in England, and saw a mole. it so wasn't the mole i saw in the picture depicted in the book. it was SO small i nearly stepped ON IT. in the book, it was this slightly squirrel-sized, grandfather looking thing. but in reality, it was so-small-you-blink-and-miss-it.

kangaroos too. what's with the joey in the pouch and beautiful tan fur? in reality? grey, lumpy and lazy-don't-bother-to-hop animals. haha.

then there are our memories of things that are not really that way. when i was young, i loved disney cartoons and others like 'carebears' and 'the magic ponies'. i searched high and low and found a copy of snow white. when i watched it, i was really really disappointed. i wish i did not instead because i subconsciously compared them to the graphics and advertisements we are bombarded with everyday, those 1D/2D cartoons are quite a letdown. it totally destroyed my imagination and childhood fascination.

so i was thinking, i really miss 'carebears' and 'the magic ponies', heck, even doraemon. i'd love to watch them again but would i be very very disappointed after? i might.

so somethings are better left as memories.

there's a beautiful saying in cantonese; the beauty of something not attainable.
similar to the beauty of regret.

sometimes, if you look hard enough, you truly feel the beauty of 'missing' something
absence makes the heart fonder, no?

2 comments:

Doug P. Baker said...

Dear Grace,

You are so right that "you truly feel the beauty of 'missing' something." For thirty years I have missed my childhood home and wanted to go back to "my" forests, "my" fields, "my" cattle and horses and chickens. But I know that if I went back it would no longer be the same little boy dazzled by the magic of the world but a man who has grown accostomed to other things who sees "my" world. And it would no longer be mine, but rather I would be a tourist there. I am much better off keeping my childhood world alive in my mind than I would be if I replaced the memories with grown up tourist images. If I were to go back I would not only lose my memories, but I would "lose the beauty of missing something."

The Realistic Dreamer said...

yes, you know exactly what i mean then :)

i too would say to you, don't go back. better to miss it fondly than to go back and realize .... oh