August 22, 2008

complicated complications

by the way, i was also thinking, on a lighter note.

i think life was meant to be simple. not too simple, but simple. i don't think life was ever supposed to be complicated.

i really enjoyed my time in England. yes, sometimes, i was bored out of my mind. nothing was open after a certain hour. and shops and malls were actually closed on sundays (yeah. grimaces. totally unbelievable). i actually peeked into the closed doors to make sure it was really closed. compared to a city where nothing closes; everything or most things stay open 24/7, 365 days a year, that was utter horror to me. but then after thinking it over, it actually proves that people there took time to 'live'.

they took time to not work. to keep certain days and time for themselves or just to do things they wanna do. they took time to just 'live'!!

like today, i had so much to do. i'm exhausted now. but i'm happy. because i had a simply great day. simple and great. i went to work. i then went to interview a princess (yeah, totally surreal, but she's very down-to-earth and friendly) and after that, my boss and i just took a buggy and went off, driving around on a pretty course. i felt the wind. i sat in the warmth of the sun. i literally watched the grass. and went back to work. another meeting. another long day. but there were little moments. there was pure enjoyment.

whereas most of us are like, yeah, we can get anything we want; anytime of the day and we can go out any hour of the day and still find entertainment and food, but again, at whose cost? whose time? whose life???

i'm all for technology and progress, but hmmmmm .....

were we ever meant to be THAT complicated?
'complicated' leads to complication you know....?

ps: and i'm so going to sleep in tomorrow. ahhhh, pure bliss

2 comments:

Doug P. Baker said...

Ah, Grace, you are so right in these last two posts! I sometimes feel that I am so busy doing all that NEEDS to be done that by the time I catch up on it all it will be time to die and I'll find that I never lived. Someone called it the tyrany of the urgent over the important. Sometimes the urgent must be neglected in favor of the important if we want to even be able to notice that we are living.

Today I did the urgent (housework) for a few hours, then I pushed it aside and did something important. I bought a friend a cup of coffee and we talked for two hours. It is so long since I made time just to sit and talk to someone besides my kids.

And for the moment I noticed that I was living.

Doug P. Baker said...

Grace,

What you said about watching the grass reminded me of a poem about the need to stop and look around. So I posted it on my site. It's under the heading "Stand and Stare."