November 4, 2008

old and dirty,not

those who grew up in malaysia would be most familiar with the morning markets. usually frequented by the 'older generation' - mums, dads, aunts, uncles and the 'grands', it's a hustle and bustle of fresh [and i mean, still-alive-slaughtered-on-the-spot fresh] produce and delicious food. every residential area has one such area and it's a daily congregation for most old folks. not only do they go for the usual cuppa, lingering for hours on end, it's the place for gossip, latest news and a touch of the dear and familiar.

when i was young, my grandmother used to walk me, or, come to think about it, i used to walk with my grandmother, to these markets for breakfast or fresh vegetable. in fact, mum and dad also used to take little me there for the most delicious breakfast. vendors are all up and awake by 4 in the morning to prepare and tempt us with the best and most authentic food imaginable.

now, all grown up and SO busy and chic, we young ones dread and avoid such places. to most of us, they're dirty, uncouth and plain disgusting. what with the live slaughtering, crowd, noise and scent of all kinds.

oh to our worldly minds, such places are for old folks only. never in our lives would we be caught dead there. would we deign to even set foot on those slippery and wet lanes? imagine our chanel, christian dior and gucci mingling with 'them'!
the horror of it.

but wait, this morning, in my rush to work, i dropped by. maybe just for a quick 2-minute dash, but i knew there'd be good food there. i know and i remember. there'd be 'real' food. coffee brewed the right and traditional way. food cooked and prepared just that morning; fresh and piping hot.

to me, it's a walk down memory lane.

waiting for my coffee, i could see i stood out. i was easily the youngest person there. in my heels and outfit, i just stuck out. yet ... i know i'm welcomed. i'm one of them.










3 comments:

sebastiao garcia said...

hey! this sebastiao i was attracted by the tittle of your blog Realistic dreamer, and my friend and stage name is African dreamer, ilove your post and the picture, i was wondering you are on the publising industry so take a look into my blog and check my writing if it is possible for me to be able to turn to a book, because i have been writing for a long time and i have many of them, i don't known what to do with, check november and october, say something. cheers

Doug P. Baker said...

That looks like a fun place to wander around. I remember such markets in Mexico and Guatamala. Some of them were small, only fifty or so stalls. But some of them went on for five or six blocks, huge markets where I could almost get lost. But I bet the smells are quite different in a Malaysian market!

The Realistic Dreamer said...

dear sebastiao, of course
will visit your blog very soon