March 10, 2009

privacy in danger

yesterday was my day. as in i spent time alone, with myself, just doing whatever i like and wanted to.

i was sitting at one of my favourite cafes - san francisco, i had my sandwich, coffee and book. it was paradise recreated. as i was about to tune out and settle into my book, i couldn't help but overheare the man beside me. in fact, the layout of the place was such that strangers were practically sitting next to you.

from his accent, i could easily tell that he wasn't local, a hongkee in fact. he was talking with his friend. business deals were discussed and laid out. every single word and figure uttered, i heard clearly. i tried, really tried to tune out and not overhear. but he was seated practically two inches away from me and i'm not deaf, however i tried to tune out.

and i wondered, why put tables so close together?

imagine if i were some scammer or good-for-nothing person, wouldn't it have been the perfect opportunity to actually get something out of it? i mean, maybe, being an idealist, i would hope that people are courteous; no one would eavesdrop, no one would care, and no one would go beyond what is right and wrong. but being the realist, i'm pretty sure that not everyone's going to be that black and white.

and i wondered, where's the line where we draw and stake our privacy?

No comments: